Latest Events

There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.
View full calendar

Carter Hill Calendar

May 2017 June 2017
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31


Trash & Refuse Pickup PDF Print E-mail

Under Rockville's improved program, we can now recycle non-hazardous aerosol cans and all plastic materials (except styrene foam items). Non-hazardous aerosol cans include whipped topping, spray cooking oil, deodorant, shaving cream and hair spray aerosol cans. These cans must be emptied before being placed into the blue commingled materials recycling bin. In addition, the mixed paper recycling program has been expanded to include various types of coated paper items. These items include milk and juice cartons, frozen food boxes, cardboard ice cream containers and lids, paper coffee and drink cups, wax-coated fruit and produce boxes, and juice and drink boxes.  (NOTE: ALL plastics can now be recycled except styrene foam). Carter Hill residents may continue to use 32 gallon trash cans and blue recycling bins. If, however, you want to get the larger containers call the City at 240-314-8568.

ONCE-A-WEEK COLLECTION – Carter Hill items are picked up ONLY on Tuesdays (see below for special pick-ups) - if there is a holiday, that may change to Wednesday.  There is no longer pick-up on Mondays and Thursdays. See for more information.  There is no change to yard waste collection, BUT certain components of recycling and refuse collection have changed.  Residents who are physically unable to take their trash to the curb can apply for “back door” service by calling 240-314-8568 or by going to

* * * * * * * * *

Trash, yard waste, recyclables, garbage, etc., can be placed at the curb WITHIN EACH PARKING LOT, PROVIDED NOTHING BLOCKS PICKUP (they must use the "claw" on their trucks for some larger items).  Note that NOTHING IS TO BE PLACED ANYWHERE ELSE in Carter Hill including dumping near or in the woods. 

Please DO NOT put out items for collection earlier than the night before pick-up – and kindly take in trash containers soon after pick up to help keep our community attractive.  Note that the newer large trash containers should be kept away out of sight of the front of the house.  For the latest information, see NOTE: schedules can change without notice - call 240-314-8568 to check on current schedules.

YARD RECYCLABLES (grass clippings, branches, etc.) must be placed in trash cans without lids OR in paper yard refuse bags for pick up on Tuesdays.  Branches must 8 feet or shorter and may be tied in bundles OR placed in trash cans.  Loose branches on the ground will not be taken.

LARGE ITEMS such as shelving, appliances, carpeting and the like – including a large amount of general items (e.g., someone remodeling or moving) - can be scheduled for pick up any Tuesday by calling 240-314-8568 between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. if you call 1-2 days in advance.  Items are picked up ONLY if you call in advance.  They will NOT be picked up unless you call. 

NOTE: You can take all large and hazardous items to the transfer station on Shady Grove Road, about 10 minutes away.  Call them to get directions.

HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS and ELECTRONICS are picked up on the fourth Wednesday ONLY if you call 240-314-8568 between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m.1-2 days beforehand.   Paint and other chemicals must be labeled HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS when placed at the curb.

Special Collections – All recycling and refuse items that do not fit into your brown and gray carts, including bulky items such as appliances and furniture. Call 240-314-8568 to schedule an appointment. Residents receive six special collections annually at no extra charge.

DEAD ANIMALS – call 240-314-8930 for pick up.

RECYCLE USABLE ITEMS and receive a tax deduction.  Call 240-777-6410 to schedule pick up under Montgomery County’s “Use It Again” program.  Many items are eligible.  For information and various organizations that will accept your donations, go to

LEAVES ARE COLLECTED twice each fall and scheduled in advance (see newspapers or the website below).  Leaves need to be raked to the curb – be sure no twigs are mixed in.  For details, see

Call the city at 240-314-8568 or or visit their website with questions about anything else:  (Website is also available in Spanish, Chinese and Korean.)  Remember that if you move, you need to return the city's trash/recyclables containers or you must pay for them. 

Last Updated on Monday, 13 October 2014 13:15

© 2009 Carter Hill